Skip to main content

The Best Stephen King Book I Had Never Read: Thoughts on "Hearts in Atlantis"



Over the last couple of years, as I’ve looked at various lists and rankings of Stephen King’s top books, I kept seeing a certain, somewhat surprising title popping up: Hearts in Atlantis.  I call it surprising because many such lists placed this one in the top ten, and at least one reviewer I saw on YouTube selected it as the very best King book of them all.  Increasingly, it became obvious that I needed to read this one.

As I say, for a long time, this book was never on my radar.  I remember the film version being released and seeming generally well received, but nothing about it grabbed my attention.  Maybe it was the film’s poster, or even the book’s cover design, both of which struck me as mildly bland and hard to interpret.  The title seemed odd and somewhat unappealing, and I just wasn’t hearing enough about it from other people to be intrigued.  Lots of people talk about The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption, IT, Carrie, Pet Sematary.  But Hearts in Atlantis?  Not so much.   


And so I neglected it.  This, it turns out, is a shame, because the book is a terrific achievement.  It is one of King’s best for sure.  In fact, I think it is one of his masterpieces.  It is a unique work in King’s catalogue.  The tricky thing is in figuring out how to label it.  The book is not a novel per se; it’s organized as a collection of novellas and short stories.  That said, the stories are all connected by characters, events, and themes.  And there is a definite progression in terms of an evolution of ideas, if not so much one clear-cut story.  Additionally, the passage of time is central to the book, and all of the stories combined create a powerfully cumulative effect that is greater than the sum of its individual parts.

If there is one distinctive organizing theme in the book, it is, I suppose, how the Vietnam war influenced the era of the 1960s into the 1970s, and even—King argues—in many ways beyond that.  King conveys his ideas about all this through wonderfully evoked stories of personal lives of young people growing up in and living through that particular era.  King, no doubt, has very strong personal feelings about Vietnam—I doubt this book would even exist otherwise—but to his credit, he restrains himself, and resists sermonizing.  Rather, King communicates his ideas about the war and its impact primarily through the emotions, viewpoints, and behavior of his characters.  Particularly in the second novella, “Hearts in Atlantis,” King demonstrates how antiwar sentiment evolves very gradually and naturally; the way it is informed and fortified through conversations in college dorm rooms, by questioning and debating, by seeing how the lives of friends and loved ones are affected by war, by coming to understand not just what is supposedly gained, but seeing with sober eyes what it truly costs.

When it comes to the war itself, King references it more directly as the book progresses.  But his approach is interesting.  King only rarely writes about the hellish aspects of combat.  There are a few passages that I can recall off the top of my head.  And they are brutal.  But by and large, King does not elect to persuade us to view the war as bad by shocking us or forcing grisly images of death into our minds.  No, more often King just writes about characters in the aftermath, individuals left to ponder the meaning of what they were a part of, and living with various physical and psychological ailments.  King writes about issues such as survivor’s guilt, suicide, substance abuse, and PTSD, but he does not push any political agenda in doing so.  Rather, he focuses on the people involved, empathizing with them, exploring how they were shaped by their circumstances; by what they saw and did.  In writing about the war, an author prone to writing “horror” might be inclined to focus on the violent trauma of it.  King does do that, but in a different way than you might guess.  The result is a little less sensational, and a bit more somber than you might expect.    

I imagine there are aspects of King and his real-life experiences embedded in the characters who populate these stories, maybe most of all in Pete Riley, who learns a host of valuable, complicated truths about love, politics, and himself while at the University of Maine (King’s actual alma mater).  But again, it is the journey of the characters that King seems to be promoting first and foremost, and he tells their stories with a masterful grasp on communicating their specific feelings, worries, passions, and hopes.  Rarely in King’s fiction have I known him to so effectively convey characters’ growth and development—how their feelings, opinions, and beliefs change as a result of their experiences and relationships. 

On the level of pure story, nearly all of the tales in the book are engaging and even moving, to varying degrees.  The most involving and affecting one for me was the first, “Low Men in Yellow Coats.”  It is the longest story in the book, and perhaps the deepest and most tragic.  I have, in the past, been somewhat critical of King’s ability to write convincingly from the perspective of children.  I am not sure precisely where I picked up the impression that King is shaky when it comes to this, but more and more I am persuaded to think I was wrong.  After all, I do consider “The Body” to be King’s crowning achievement, and boy, “Low Men” is pretty darn good too.

By the time I reached the halfway point, I was utterly spellbound.  I was also deeply invested in Bobby’s experiences, feeling a good deal of fear and sadness for him.  Some of the best writing in the entire book occurs as that story unfolds.  One of the charms of that story is that it’s about a transition point in the lives of young Bobby and his friends—the end of childhood and beginning of adolescence.  A period that carries with it, of course, the falling away of certain childhood illusions.  There are aches and pains involved in losing the capacity to see the world in simple, purely idealistic terms—in coming to understand the darker, harsher reality of things—and King captures this with honest, stinging poignancy.  

As I was reading the book, I struggled to determine how I felt about “Low Men” being a Dark Tower-related story.  Part of me thinks it didn’t need to be, especially since everything else in the book is grounded and realistic.  But then again, a huge part of the power of that story is because it’s Tower related.  And, honestly, whatever uncertainty or ambivalence I felt about the concept was redeemed at the end of the book.  I won’t say more than that, except…bravo, Mr. King.  Well done.

Ultimately, this is a King book that is likely to surprise you.  If you think of King primarily as a horror writer, or regard him as a middle-of-the-road talent, Hearts in Atlantis is a must read.  It will challenge your conception of him and his abilities, I assure you.  It does not “fit in” very easily with the majority of his popular work.  If there is anything frightening here, it is firmly rooted in human nature.  King’s typically bold writing style is tempered, subdued—more artfully composed than you might expect. This is as “literary” a work as anything you’re likely to encounter by him, save for maybe Different Seasons.  The book contains what we might label “important,” socially-conscious themes, excellent character work, as well as plenty of deep, reflective writing.  King also does some impressive things on a technical level, such as changing prose styles from story to story.  

This is a serious, heartfelt book, but it is not overly sentimental.  You can sense how it could have been bolder, more emotional, strained, or forced.  But King manages to avoid all that.  At the end especially, you can feel King skillfully maintaining control, perhaps even pulling back a little—not too much, but just enough to keep the notes he’s hitting perfectly in tune.  I don’t mind confessing that as I read the final pages, I got goosebumps.  I felt a lump in my throat, and tears sting my eyes.  I can’t guarantee that everyone will have the same reaction, but I’m guessing a good many people might. 

Folks, I love this book.  I am grateful that King wrote it, that he poured so much apparent love and effort into it.  I am glad I finally got around to reading it.  I may still not know how to categorize it, but I can tell you one thing for sure: it’s great!        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Look at Stephen King's "Scariest" Novel: Revisiting "Pet Sematary"

The new "Pet Sematary" film will soon be hitting theaters, and I'm feeling pretty excited.  I actually just finished another read-through of the novel, in part to prepare for the movie's release, but also because I hadn't read the book in years and felt I was due to revisit it.  I liked it as much as I always have, but I think my admiration for it has grown.  Folks, this novel is an absolute must-read.  It is one of King's finest, a definite masterpiece, and perhaps as close as he's come to writing a flawless book. It is well known that King has often referred to this book as the one that caused him to feel he'd finally gone too far.  Apparently, upon first writing it, he ended up locking it away in a drawer, expecting never to publish it.  My understanding is that he submitted it, at his wife's urging, to Doubleday in order to satisfy a multi-book contract.  I am immensely grateful that he did.  I shudder to think that this novel very near

Collecting the King: Recent Pick-ups

I recently came upon some great deals on King books, and wanted to take a few moments to share my enthusiasm.  I'm always on the lookout for good finds, hunting in all sorts of places--used book shops, thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, etc.  Pretty much anywhere!  Over the last couple of years, I've accumulated a decent collection of King hardcovers.  In many cases, I snag the books for surprisingly low prices, which is helpful when you're collecting the works of a writer as prolific as Stephen King.   A couple of days ago I happened upon this gem. It cost me less than $2.00, so I couldn't really pass it up.  I know it's an anthology and therefore not a true "Stephen King book."  Plus, I already own a good quality of Skeleton Crew , but...having this book is pretty cool, given that it's where "The Mist" was first published. The other two items are fairly special to me.  I didn't own hardcover copies of these books, so

Don't Judge a Book By Its Terrible TV Adaptation: "The Langoliers" Review

  The latest story I finished was another first-time read: "The Langoliers," one of four novellas contained in Four Past Midnight .  This is one I didn’t have much expectation about going in, since it doesn’t seem to be one of King’s most talked-about stories.  I had been aware of the horrendous 90s TV miniseries of course.  I haven't seen the thing in full; only parts, thank God.  But would a bad adaptation ever put me off to reading a King story?  Certainly not.  Some of King’s absolute best novels have been given deplorable treatment when adapted for TV, so as far as I’m concerned, that is hardly a deal-breaker.     Having read the novella, I think it's a shame about the miniseries, because the story itself is definitely an intriguing and exciting one.  King is working with a great premise here.  It’s a story with such an audacious set-up that you get both thrilled and worried about what’s to come.  Thrilled, because right out of the gate King presen