Skip to main content

My Initial Thoughts on Stephen King's Latest: "The Outsider"

 


 
 
Since this book is still fairly new, I’ll do my best to share my thoughts without divulging too much about the story, especially the ending. 
        
My initial feeling upon finishing it is that it’s a perfectly decent novel, but nothing special.  It is crisply written and a fast, easy read, but ultimately this is a fairly thin story that lacks a solid payoff.  I hate to describe it that way, but given its intriguing premise and set-up, it’s hard to see it any other way.

The Outsider is not a scary novel.  It's dark and grim, like much of King's work.  It's disturbing, for sure, but not frightening.  I didn't care that it didn't creep me out; that is a quality I always view as a bonus in King's writing, but hardly ever the primary thing I seek.  The trouble for me is that the novel is also neither terribly thrilling nor emotional.  This fact is a bit peculiar, especially given that the story is about a police investigation surrounding a child murder.  You might think that King, so well versed in the elements of tragedy, would explore the devastation inherent in the boy’s murder with his unflinching eye for the horror and pain embedded in violent, wicked acts.  But there isn’t as much of that as I expected.  There are a few nicely observed moments of grief, but, weirdly, King gives them little more than a passing glance before shifting to something else. 
 
The police elements of the story are generally well-handled and convincing, but I wouldn’t describe them as exciting.  Save for a few big moments, the investigative stuff mostly amounts to a lot of traveling, checking things out, and conversing. What this novel does have is plenty of dialogue.  It's a very “talky” book.  Characters planning, debating, philosophizing.  How you feel about that will depend, I suppose, on how much you appreciate the characters and King’s ear for dialogue.

I didn't mind this, because I liked the characters well enough, and thought King's dialogue was engaging.  I liked Ralph, Samuels, Yune and the others, and I came to appreciate a certain character's presence in the novel very much.  I'll keep that person's name a secret, but I will say that the story definitely picked up speed and interest for me when they arrived.  What bummed me out, in hindsight, is that some of the characters most affected by the crime that starts the story are relegated to the margins for much of the novel.  It's easy to see how much deeper and more trenchant King could have made the book if he'd focused more on them. 

Speaking of the crime, I wish King had given us a prelude to the arrest which opens the book.  We are meant to view Terry, the apparent suspect, as a good-natured, upstanding person, but I think it might have been more effective for King to give us some tangible example of his personality and behavior, rather than depending on the opinions and comments of other characters.  Additionally, King could have given us a brief glimpse into Frank's life prior to being killed.  As it stands, he is a kid we know nothing about.  It doesn't make the crime any less heinous or devastating, but again, King could have wrung a little more emotion from his audience by making him an actual character.  The way the opening of the novel plays out, I wasn't very invested in what was happening.  The bleak child-murder scenario worked as a concept, but I wish it would have felt more personal.  King is not averse to big novels with substantial character histories, so it's odd that he starts this one the way he does.     

For fear that I am sounding overly critical, let me express that there are definitely good things in the novel as well.

·  In the beginning of the book, there are descriptions of interviews held with various witnesses to the crime.  Though they are only briefly glimpsed, King gives each of these characters a unique voice.

·  The stuff with Jack Hoskins is prime King.  Hoskins is a mean, grimy character--the sort of angry, unlikeable jerk King has perfected writing over the years.  I suppose King isn't doing anything new with him, but he nails the attitude and thought process of the character, especially in conveying the anxiety Hoskins wrestles with after his "encounter."  I'd like to say more, but I'll leave it at that.  Some of those passages are, I think, among the book's best.

·  Ralph's arc is a good one, especially in terms of representing the book's central philosophical idea. 

·  The section "the Arraignment" contains some legitimately intense passages.   

Ultimately, the reason I find myself disappointed with The Outsider is that so much of the book hangs on the question of what is really happening.  There is a tremendous amount of build-up and anticipation, so the whole enterprise really stands or falls on King's ability to achieve a substantial, gratifying ending.  Alas, that is where I think the book fails.  King does have a great idea here, but he does not capitalize on it the way I hoped he would.  It is hard not to view what is revealed in the climax as a bit of a cop-out.  One could even make the argument that this feels a lot like ground King has covered before.  

In many cases, I defend King's work by noting that his endings—admittedly not the strongest parts of his stories, usually—don't bother me, because the journey in getting there is what I'm more invested in.  That's true when it comes to the vast majority of King's writing—but not in this case.  The ending of this book is simply too important, given what precedes it.  Everything hinges on it.  And it falls flat.  Had King given us a richer, more engaging journey along the way, I'd probably rate the book as more of a success.  But really, the investigative stuff feels fairly routine, and it's so dialogue-heavy there isn't much drama or suspense to sink your teeth into.

Don't get me wrong, though.  This is not a bad book.  It is just a weak entry in King's very impressive literary canon.  It is a good job by King, but not a great one.  The Outsider is a diverting, entertaining read, but lacks the depth, complexity, and creativity of King's best fiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Look at Stephen King's "Scariest" Novel: Revisiting "Pet Sematary"

The new "Pet Sematary" film will soon be hitting theaters, and I'm feeling pretty excited.  I actually just finished another read-through of the novel, in part to prepare for the movie's release, but also because I hadn't read the book in years and felt I was due to revisit it.  I liked it as much as I always have, but I think my admiration for it has grown.  Folks, this novel is an absolute must-read.  It is one of King's finest, a definite masterpiece, and perhaps as close as he's come to writing a flawless book. It is well known that King has often referred to this book as the one that caused him to feel he'd finally gone too far.  Apparently, upon first writing it, he ended up locking it away in a drawer, expecting never to publish it.  My understanding is that he submitted it, at his wife's urging, to Doubleday in order to satisfy a multi-book contract.  I am immensely grateful that he did.  I shudder to think that this novel very near

Collecting the King: Recent Pick-ups

I recently came upon some great deals on King books, and wanted to take a few moments to share my enthusiasm.  I'm always on the lookout for good finds, hunting in all sorts of places--used book shops, thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, etc.  Pretty much anywhere!  Over the last couple of years, I've accumulated a decent collection of King hardcovers.  In many cases, I snag the books for surprisingly low prices, which is helpful when you're collecting the works of a writer as prolific as Stephen King.   A couple of days ago I happened upon this gem. It cost me less than $2.00, so I couldn't really pass it up.  I know it's an anthology and therefore not a true "Stephen King book."  Plus, I already own a good quality of Skeleton Crew , but...having this book is pretty cool, given that it's where "The Mist" was first published. The other two items are fairly special to me.  I didn't own hardcover copies of these books, so

Don't Judge a Book By Its Terrible TV Adaptation: "The Langoliers" Review

  The latest story I finished was another first-time read: "The Langoliers," one of four novellas contained in Four Past Midnight .  This is one I didn’t have much expectation about going in, since it doesn’t seem to be one of King’s most talked-about stories.  I had been aware of the horrendous 90s TV miniseries of course.  I haven't seen the thing in full; only parts, thank God.  But would a bad adaptation ever put me off to reading a King story?  Certainly not.  Some of King’s absolute best novels have been given deplorable treatment when adapted for TV, so as far as I’m concerned, that is hardly a deal-breaker.     Having read the novella, I think it's a shame about the miniseries, because the story itself is definitely an intriguing and exciting one.  King is working with a great premise here.  It’s a story with such an audacious set-up that you get both thrilled and worried about what’s to come.  Thrilled, because right out of the gate King presen