Skip to main content

A Devilishly Good Read: Revisiting "Needful Things"


 
 
Recently, a few of my coworkers were interested in starting a book club, and (knowing I am a big King fan) they elected to begin with something by him.  The selection?  Needful Things.  Now, this is a book I had already read—roughly ten years ago—but I was interested in revisiting it.  I remembered the book having at least a few excellent characters, an intriguing tone, and the premise is one that I continue to find fascinating.  Plus, this is “the last Castle Rock story,” or at least had been at the time.  And with the Hulu series “Castle Rock” in development, I’m eager to refresh myself on the goings-on of that particular locale within King’s literary universe.  With all those factors in mind, I figured I might enjoy a reread. 

So…did I? 

You bet I did.  Needful Things is a book that begins with a highly intriguing premise.  In effect, the Devil sets up shop in a small town with the intention of utterly destroying it.  The implications of such an idea should produce a very dark, violent, and horrific endgame.  And it does.  But the early passages of Needful Things strike a lighter tone.  It is frequently funny and entertaining, particularly the way King crafts the dialogue between the nefarious shopkeeper Gaunt and his unwitting customers. 
 
Things don’t stay humorous for long (and eventually they become very dark indeed), but it is interesting to find how nimbly King shifts between tones and feelings in this book.  Ultimately, the emotional core of the story is a darkly tragic one.  But it is interesting to note how frequently King looks for ways to inject the story with dark comedy.

The cast of characters King assembles is quite large.  Not everyone is exceptionally well developed, but there is a definite sense of personal history in this story—of the feuds, the friendships, and the more intimate relationships.  Even if it is not perfectly conveyed at all times, King himself is certainly well versed in how things have evolved between the residents of Castle Rock. 

It’s impressive that King is able to suggest the bonds and resentments so persuasively, and with so many good details.  Creating a convincingly layered and textured milieu to stage his action against was clearly important to King, and he has fun with his characters.  But I also think filling the book with so many characters, and ushering them all into Gaunt’s clutches, was important as a way for King to establish a primary idea in this book: that human nature is universally corruptible.  King accomplishes this by showing the various motivations of customers seeking their prized possessions, as well as the fact that everyone in town is susceptible, even the religious--and therefore presumably more pious--folks. I can imagine someone thinking the book needlessly spins its wheels for a while, particularly in the midsection – and one of my book-club peers did feel that way – but I think there is intentionality behind King’s repetitive pattern of: new customer comes in, Gaunt tempts them, they play a prank, etc.  Again, I think this is King’s way of showing us that no one is immune from temptation.  No one is exempt from the capacity to kill.  Gaunt even eventually gets to Alan (the one character who seems untouchable) and that was a moment of special power for me.  The thing he “needs” is particularly potent, and rooted in tragedy.       

That’s what the book is about for me.  It is a “supernatural” story in a sense, but more so of the “spiritual” variety.  The threat the townspeople face is an insidious one, because it results from the way they give in to temptation.  Gaunt preys on their wishes and fears, and causes them to act out in heinous, murderous ways.  It is to King’s great credit that he got me to believe all of these people would lash out with violence.  King served himself a tall order in getting the story from point A to point Z, from the seemingly innocuous to the horrible and blood-soaked, but he pulls it off.
 
What worked extremely well for me this time around?

·  Sherriff Pangborn’s depressive “voice.”  This element of the novel adds wonderful dimension to Alan’s character, and it stings every time King utilizes it.  I particularly like the way Alan’s depressive thoughts intrude on him.  This is an insightful angle with regard to the cognitive impact of depression, and the sneaky, lingering way guilt continues to nag at a person, wearing them down.

·  Polly’s physical pain.  King manages to make Polly’s ailment seem terribly burdensome and pervasive.  He also conveys not just her physical discomfort, but also the embarrassment she feels in having it revealed.

·  How convincingly King writes about addiction.  This, of course, is a subject that appears in, and enhances, a variety of King’s works.  Here, King does some good writing around the mental preoccupation that comes from being dependent on something, and the way those tendencies grow into obsessiveness.

·  Brian’s story.  I won’t say much about this for fear of spoiling it, because it is one of the most affecting parts of the novel.  I will simply say it devastated me, even the second time around.

·  The history embedded in Wilma and Peter's marriage.  This is some of the sharpest, most complex, most substantial writing King has done.  He reveals the capacity marriage has to be a battleground, and in this case, he shows how resentment coupled with profoundly intimate knowledge over a long history can create destructive patterns of relating.  The idea of having Peter slip his wife a sedative is a twisted notion of love that makes a strange sort of sense in the context of the kind of deep understanding that comes from a longstanding, if dysfunctional, relationship.  I tip my hat to King for the cleverness it took to come up with this, and for his devotion to packing it into the story.  It wasn’t necessarily needed, plot-wise, but it enhances the quality of the story considerably.

All in all, I think this is a terrific book.  In an effort to be objective, I’ll admit that it is probably a little too obscene at times.  It tends to be fairly vulgar and gross in places, but ultimately, that doesn’t detract from the good stuff.  Despite being a fairly thick novel, there is a strong through-line that keeps the book focused, and by the end, I found that King has made his point very strongly.  Gaunt is a fascinating villain, and Alan is a worthy hero.  The book manages to end with a definitive climax, but also retains an air of uncertainty about the future.  For my money, a solid ending.  Which is not always the case with King, particularly with his longer works, when the payoff doesn't match the time and energy you put into reading it.  Hard to go wrong with this one!

        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Deeper Look at Stephen King's "Scariest" Novel: Revisiting "Pet Sematary"

The new "Pet Sematary" film will soon be hitting theaters, and I'm feeling pretty excited.  I actually just finished another read-through of the novel, in part to prepare for the movie's release, but also because I hadn't read the book in years and felt I was due to revisit it.  I liked it as much as I always have, but I think my admiration for it has grown.  Folks, this novel is an absolute must-read.  It is one of King's finest, a definite masterpiece, and perhaps as close as he's come to writing a flawless book. It is well known that King has often referred to this book as the one that caused him to feel he'd finally gone too far.  Apparently, upon first writing it, he ended up locking it away in a drawer, expecting never to publish it.  My understanding is that he submitted it, at his wife's urging, to Doubleday in order to satisfy a multi-book contract.  I am immensely grateful that he did.  I shudder to think that this novel very near

Collecting the King: Recent Pick-ups

I recently came upon some great deals on King books, and wanted to take a few moments to share my enthusiasm.  I'm always on the lookout for good finds, hunting in all sorts of places--used book shops, thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, etc.  Pretty much anywhere!  Over the last couple of years, I've accumulated a decent collection of King hardcovers.  In many cases, I snag the books for surprisingly low prices, which is helpful when you're collecting the works of a writer as prolific as Stephen King.   A couple of days ago I happened upon this gem. It cost me less than $2.00, so I couldn't really pass it up.  I know it's an anthology and therefore not a true "Stephen King book."  Plus, I already own a good quality of Skeleton Crew , but...having this book is pretty cool, given that it's where "The Mist" was first published. The other two items are fairly special to me.  I didn't own hardcover copies of these books, so

Don't Judge a Book By Its Terrible TV Adaptation: "The Langoliers" Review

  The latest story I finished was another first-time read: "The Langoliers," one of four novellas contained in Four Past Midnight .  This is one I didn’t have much expectation about going in, since it doesn’t seem to be one of King’s most talked-about stories.  I had been aware of the horrendous 90s TV miniseries of course.  I haven't seen the thing in full; only parts, thank God.  But would a bad adaptation ever put me off to reading a King story?  Certainly not.  Some of King’s absolute best novels have been given deplorable treatment when adapted for TV, so as far as I’m concerned, that is hardly a deal-breaker.     Having read the novella, I think it's a shame about the miniseries, because the story itself is definitely an intriguing and exciting one.  King is working with a great premise here.  It’s a story with such an audacious set-up that you get both thrilled and worried about what’s to come.  Thrilled, because right out of the gate King presen